Inside Footscray West Presbyterian Church
Who are we & What do we do
Our Church is part of the Presbyterian Church of Victoria (PCV). The PCV and is federated with Presbyterian Churches in the other states as part of the Presbyterian Church of Australia (PCA).
The PCV is in historical continuity with the Church of Scotland reformed in 1560. It was founded in 1859 by the union of certain Presbyterian synods, at that time organised within the state of Victoria.
"To know God and to Make God Known"
We believe that God can be known through Jesus Christ because:
- He has revealed himself by speaking to men and women at many times and in various ways
- in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, Jesus of Nazareth, who by his death on the cross removes for all who trust in him their sins, which bar us from fellowship with God.
- he has been pleased to commit his message to mankind to writing in the book we know as the Bible
- he still speaks by his Word and Spirit as the gospel, the good news of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ is read or spoken.
We have come to know God by knowing Jesus.
'Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? (John 14:9-10)
Jesus also said: 'Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.' (John 17:3)
We aim to know God better by knowing Jesus better, and we learn of him by
- meeting together for worship
- listening to God's word read and proclaimed
- reading the Bible daily
- praying that the Holy Spirit will enable us to understand what he is saying to us, and help us to put it into practice.
Knowing God through Jesus enables us to love him.
Loving God means that we strive to obey him and live for him above all else.
Loving God, we also love each other, and seek to encourage and serve each other as brothers and sisters in Christ, and build each other up in faith and love and hope.
We aim to make God known to others by sharing the gospel with them because
- by nature people do not know God, and so they are without hope for this life or the life to come.
- God sent Jesus his Son into the world to seek and to save those who are lost in their ignorance of God.
- Jesus sent those who know God through him to share that knowledge with others.
- God who made the world commands all people everywhere to repent (to turn from their wrongdoing), because he has set a day when he will justly judge the world, and given proof of this by raising Jesus from the dead.
We share the gospel by
- our worship services
- word of mouth (personal evangelism)
- distributing Christian literature
- providing funds for missionary and literature work at home and overseas
- this website and the associated SMS messages
any other way that we can think of, for we believe that the gospel is the power of God for the salvation of every one who believes. (Romans 1:17)